Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"Country Cousin" (1936) [Series] - Babbitt Scene Synopsis

OK, here's the start of the Series of holdings from "Country Cousin" (1936).

The first item is a sheet found loose in the Ingeborg Willy Scrapbook (1936-1937). This is a Scene Synopsis sheet listing "Babbitt" as the animator.

What I found interesting was the sheet summarized the various categories of work relating to the scene: Mechanics, Effects, Color, Paint & Ink, and General. The items described in the Mechanics section show an excellent example of manipulation of underlays and camera movement. While I started by collecting "pretty" cels, I soon found myself interested in the broader scope of the animation process: backgrounds, story boards, concept art, pencils, story notes, internal memos, etc.

On the reverse of the sheet is the story line that is in progress...

I'm not sure why I took this turn in my collecting. My guess is that since I had started my own company, I developed an interest in "opening the hood" of just about every business I encountered to get a feel for what made other successful businesses "tick."

Scene Synopsis Sheet [click to enlarge]


Reverse Side of Scene Synopsis

----- DATABASE NOTES -----

From “Country Cousin” (1936). Scene Synopsis listing the animator as "Babbitt." From “Ingeborg Willy’s Scrapbook” (1936-1937). A scrapbook of photos, pencil drawings and other items put together by Ingeborg Willy, who was an inker for Disney from 11/23/36 to 11/26/41 and who died in 1999. Acquired 1998. SeqID-0243 Updated: 7/28/2005

2 comments:

  1. This is the first time I've seen such a document. I'd like to find out more about them. Presumably, Mike Barrier or Hans Perk would know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael - Thanks for your comment. Perhaps we'll get some additional information.

    ReplyDelete