Search This Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2009

"Fantasia" (1940) [Series] - Lee Blair Ben Ali Gator and Hyacinth Hippo Pencil Concept

More postings of items in the Cowan Collection from "Fantasia"...

This is a great piece!  Super expressions!  As I've mentioned before, I try to collect images that represent key moments in the film and/or images that capture the essence of a character.  This is a good example.

Note: Thanks for the corrections. I first wrote "Les" Blair and have corrected it to "Lee" Blair.  I appreciate it...

This image was featured in Mindy Aloff's book "Hippo In A Tutu" (pg. 113) and had this to say about the image: “A Lee Blair story sketch of Hyacinth Hippo being partnered enthusiastically in arabesque on pointe by Ben Ali Gator in 'Dance of the Hours.' Lee Blair was married to Disney inspirational artist Mary Blair.”  The Blair Connection was a result of Aloff's research and wasn't based on any information I had about the piece.

Lee Blair Pencil Concept


 



----- DATABASE NOTES -----

From “Fantasia” (1940), the Dance of the Hours sequence.  Pencil concept sketch of Ben Ali Gator is dancing with Hyacinth Hippo.  Notes: "WDP" stamp on lower right.  [Image: 10-5/8"W x 8"H; Frame: 16-7/8"W x 14-3/8"H]  SeqID-0168  8/3/2005

2 comments:

  1. Unless I am mistaken, the name was Lee Blair, not "Les". I worked with a guy who knew Mary and Lee Blair... Lee even went to his wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...! Thanks. I probably typed it wrong. Thanks for the correction!

    Bob ;D

    ReplyDelete